SHARDS inc. was the dream of two women who saw a need in the community of Fond du Lac for affordable whole-person health services. Kathy Bonde is a counselor who had been seeing uninsured clients on a sliding fee scale, and Susan Osteen has a background in parish nursing and community health. Susan and Kathy gathered other people who shared their dream, and, in 2010, founded SHARDS inc.
Identifying mental health care as one of the greatest unmet needs in Fond du Lac County, SHARDS decided to focus its resources on mental health, with the intention of expanding to include other health services in the future. In 2011, Sister Deborah Walter, CSA, became Executive Director of SHARDS, bringing expertise in both leadership and counseling to the position. In 2013, Sister Deborah stepped down in order to focus more energy on her growing counseling practice, and Jane Wendt became the interim director. Jane’s background in AODA and, more recently, with Smart Relationships (formerly thinkmarriage) was a wonderful asset to SHARDS. In March of 2015, SHARDS hired Lindee Kimball as Executive Director. Lindee brings over 25 years of experience working with people in need through non-profit organizations such as Solutions Center and Salvation Army.
View the SHARDS inc presentation to see more of what we are about.
SHARDS inc. was created out of faith and founded in the belief that we are called to help all God’s children heart to heart and hand in hand. “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me…whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me” Matthew 25:35-40.
The principles by which we operate:
- To meet and walk alongside individuals to discover new opportunities for living a full and inclusive life, spiritually, emotionally, and physically within the community.
- To promote the dignity and self worth of individuals.
- To live out and promote the Gospel of Jesus Christ through all our actions.
- Affordability: SHARDS makes mental health services available to the uninsured and underinsured.
- Dedication: SHARDS is dedicated to the belief that we are called to help all God’s children heart to heart and hand to hand.
- Community: SHARDS respects religious, ethnic, and cultural differences.
- Wholistic: SHARDS seeks to grow to meet the emotional, physical, and spiritual needs of people in the community.